Tuesday, February 4, 2014

IRB #3 Introduction Post

Outliers: The Story of Success

By Malcolm Gladwell

Outliers is a national best-seller that explores how people become successful. Instead of thinking about WHO is famous, Malcolm Gladwell considers looking at why people are famous- what they've done, where and how they grew up, their surroundings, and what the most famous people all have in common that contributes to their success. The book is divided into an introduction, two parts, and an epilogue, each section focused on a specific aspect of success. It's somewhat psychological, but also entertaining and somewhat science-based. 

I chose this book because it is completely different from any other book I've read for an IRB so far. I tend to lean towards history when I read non-fiction, and I don't really read a lot of non-fiction outside of school anyway. This book has also been recommended to me by many friends of mine, and I am generally willing to try a variety of genres as long as I know that the book is good. Also, the book resembles a series of stories at times, which is what I enjoyed about the "Best Essays" book I read this summer and the memoir I read last marking period. I'm also a fan of learning interesting trivia when reading, and Outliers seems like it will include this as an added "bonus". I'm excited to start reading this, and I think it will definitely be unique compared to the fiction I normally spend my time reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment